Long ban for dad caught drink driving for second time

A man has been banned from the road for 36 months after he was caught drink driving for the second time in a decade.

Ross Watkins fell within the 10-year window for the mandatory three-year disqualification by approximately two months, a court heard.

The 31-year-old, of Cromwell Crescent, Market Harborough appeared at Leicester Magistrates’ Court to admit drink driving in the town earlier this year.

Prosecutor Dale Brownless said a Leicestershire Police patrol stopped Watkins in his car shortly shortly before midnight on Monday, September 21.

Mr Brownless said: “The officer requested a roadside breath sample which proved positive and the defendant was arrested.”

A further test was conducted in custody and this gave a reading of 46mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mg.

“As far as his history is concerned, he has a drink driving matter from November 2010,” Mr Brownless told the court.

Watkins, who chose not to be represented by a solicitor at the hearing, was asked by magistrates to explain his actions.

He said: “It was just a silly mistake. I shouldn’t have done it.”

Read More
Read More

He told the court that a driving disqualification would have serious consequences for his ability to care for his poorly child, including hospital trips.

However, magistrates told Watkins they had no choice but to impose the minimum disqualification period of three years.

He was also fined £120 and ordered to pay prosecution costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £34.

.