Dog walkers warned over ‘dangerous’ chillies at Derby beauty spot

The group responsible for looking after a picturesque nature reserve in Derby have issued a safety warning to pet owners following a shocking discovery.

The chair of The Friends of Chaddesden Wood told Derbyshire Live of her surprise when discovering several hidden red dried chillies at the beauty spot in Oakwood.

The group say that a dog or other pets and wildlife could become seriously ill if they were to eat one of the dried chillies.

According to the discussion website Reddit, plain dried chillies are not toxic to dogs, however the spice mix may contain onion powder or garlic powder which is toxic to dogs.

The discovery of the chillies was made last Wednesday (January 6). They were discovered near the footpath, potentially making it easy for a dog to eat one.

Some of them have been removed from the ancient site, but there maybe others dotted around that may have not yet been discovered.

This is what the dangerous chillies and popping corn may look like.
(Image: Heather Bryant)

Heather Bryant, who discovered the chillies while out litter picking, said she feared the chillies were placed deliberately and has warned a number of pet owners of the danger.

She said: “They (the chillies) have been put down on the ground hidden in piles of popping corn and maize.

“I fear someone may have done it deliberately, but I don’t understand why.

I was warning dog owners as they went round to be careful. I believe if dogs were to eat them it could gave them very poorly stomachs. I don’t think they could die from it, but I don’t know.

“We just want to make sure there is no chance of anyone potentially having their pets made poorly by what some person is doing.”

Chaddesden Wood is one of two ancient woodlands in the city of Derby. “Ancient” means it has been continuously wooded for at least 400 years.

The group’s warning on their Facebook page has attracted almost 200 shares on the social media site and dozens of comments.

It said: “If you take dogs for walks in the wood, please be aware of the danger to your pet.

“If you know of anyone doing such a stupid thing, which puts the life of our wild animals, birds and domestic pets at risk of severe injury or possible death, please can you discourage them from doing so.”

Formed in February 2010, The Friends of Chaddesden Wood has more than 150 members and in October the area received a Green Flag Award as one of the best green spaces in the world.

.